Registration for the Young Women's Leadership Program is now open! Click here for more information.
The purpose of this program is to ensure that leadership for young women and non-binary youth is given attention and action in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. While YWCA St. John’s recognizes that there are young women and non-binary youth are already doing great things in our communities, we strongly believe they have the potential to do even more.
As a means to address the underrepresentation of women and non-binary folks in positions of leadership, YWCA’s Young Women’s Leadership Program aims to equip young women and non-binary youth with the required tools to exercise their leadership abilities with peers in their communities. Such leadership roles undertaken will encourage confidence and leadership tendencies throughout their lives.
Throughout the two-day training, participants will have the chance to build on their leadership skills, network with like-minded peers, and gain insight and confidence in their leadership abilities. As a group, we explore and build on self-awareness, basic facilitation skills, building group dynamics, conflict resolution skills, and how we can all contribute to creating safe spaces. This training also provides participants with the opportunity to practice these skills by co-facilitating one of four pre-developed modules on themes of Identity, Positivity, Communication, and Action.
This program is for young women and non-binary youth between the ages of 15 and 18.
After completing the training, YWCA works with interested participants who wish to further practice these new skills by coordinating placement opportunities where they will deliver the materials in the community. This adds another dimension to the peer leadership experience, and provides a great role modeling for their younger peers who attend these sessions.
- YWLP was held on August 14 and 15 at the Newfoundland and Labrador Housing and Homelessness Network.
- YWLP was once again held at the Newfoundland & Labrador Housing and Homelessness Network's Learning Centre in Pleasantville.
- YWLP was held at the Newfoundland & Labrador Housing and Homelessness Network’s Learning Centre in Pleasantville. Visit the Photo Gallery to see pictures!
- YWLP was held at Sobey’s Community Room
- YWCA Moncton facilitated the training of this first YWLP session in St. John’s